Ductless mini-split heat pumps are capable of both heating and cooling your home, just like a conventional heat pump. The main difference is that, instead of requiring an indoor evaporator coil and notoriously inefficient ductwork, ductless mini-split heat pumps send refrigerant through copper tubing directly to a wall-mounted air handler in your home. This air handler is discrete and attractive, unlike window air conditioners. Plus, window A/Cs can’t deliver heat in the winter the way ductless mini splits can. If you’re in need of an HVAC upgrade, consider what these systems have to offer.
- Easy installation: An easy installation for contractors results in saved time and money for you, the consumer. Without the need for ductwork, mini splits serve as easy, affordable retrofits to your existing home. Copper tubing is installed between an outdoor condensing unit and the indoor air handler through a 3-inch opening in the wall or ceiling. With long enough tubing, you can position the outdoor unit quite far from the indoor air handler. This lets you install the outdoor unit in an isolated corner of the yard.
- Aesthetically pleasing: There’s really no comparison between a window-mounted air conditioner and a ductless mini split in terms of aesthetics. The discrete, wall-mounted mini-split air handler comes with a sleek outer jacket and often has a depth of only 7 inches or less. It can be mounted high on the wall or on the ceiling to work around your interior design efforts.
- Quiet: Since the condensing unit is located outside, ductless mini-split heat pumps are infinitely quieter than window air conditioners. The hushed air handler quietly distributes air without a noisy compressor to destroy the silence.
- Ideal for zoning: You might choose to attach only one air handler to the outdoor condensing unit. Such a setup provides heating and cooling in one portion of your home, making it perfect for climate control in a home addition. However, for whole-house comfort, you can install up to four air handlers per outdoor unit. This allows you to control the temperature in different areas of your home independently. Plus, with the included remotes, you can change the comfort level instantly without even getting up.
- Energy efficient: Traditional forced-air heating and cooling systems lose up to 40 percent of heated and cooled air through leaky ducts. Since ductless mini-split heat pumps don’t have ductwork, they avoid energy waste that ducts are known for. This results in lower energy bills that help the investment pay for itself. Heat pumps are more efficient than combustion heating equipment, especially in warm climates such as Texas. Look for Energy Star qualified mini splits for the best heating and cooling efficiency possible.
- Environmentally friendly: The ability to consume less energy for heating and cooling helps reduce the emissions your home puts into the air. This diminishes your carbon footprint and helps the environment. In addition, when you upgrade from an outdated air conditioner to a ductless mini split, you’re also upgrading the refrigerant. Old units still run on R-22 refrigerant, but new cooling units feature more environmentally friendly R-410A refrigerant.
- Safe and secure: Window air conditioners make it easy for intruders to enter your home. With a wall-mounted mini split, though, you can keep the window securely closed. Additionally, when you want to enjoy the view or open the window on mild days, a wall-mounted unit gives you full access to do so. Mini-splits also don’t need to be packed up for the winter. In fact, you should continue to use it for interior warmth in the heating season.
- Simple maintenance: Plan to schedule preventive maintenance from a professional contractor and take care of your ductless mini split between formal tune-ups. It’s easy to clean the filter, a task that should take place after every 400 hours of use. Ductless mini-split heat pump filters can last six to eight years with proper care. Simply watch for the indicator light to illuminate, signaling you to clean the filter. Then, wash it by hand with a mild detergent and reinstall it before operating the mini split again.
Quiet, convenient and efficient heating and cooling can be yours with ductless mini-split heat pumps. Learn more about these units and find answers to other heating and cooling questions by contacting